The Digital Scholarship Centre is an academic centre designed to facilitate scholarly activities, including research and teaching.
Access to the collaboration rooms is currently limited to faculty, graduate students, University staff, and other researchers only. Requests for use of space by alumni, visiting scholars, community partners, Edmonton education institutions, and members of the general public will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Those booking events in the Visualization Lab or Multipurpose room please see the FAQ at the bottom of this page for more information.
The Digital Scholarship Centre is a collaboration zone and is governed by the University of Alberta Library Community Expectations.
We are able to support:
- Research, research group meetings, and research team events, such as launch celebrations, lectures, and showcases.
- Workshops related to using technology.
- Group work and group projects for graduate students.
- Recording videos, podcasts, or presentations.
- Testing the space and technology before a planned event.
- Consultations with librarians, researchers, staff, and other University of Alberta community members.
- Graduate student group meetings, events, and activities.
We cannot accommodate:
- Recurring classroom lectures or seminars; please book a regular classroom space for course instruction.
- Silent individual or group study.
- Administrative, committee, or governance meetings.
- Recurring meetings related to the curriculum, staff development, or faculty retreats.
- Students Union group or club meetings.
- Conference organizing service requests.
- Requests for events that fall outside of regular operating hours.
The following spaces are available to be booked:
The recording booth fits 2 people and features equipment to support sound capture. For editing please book a computer. Staff are able to provide a short orientation tot he recording booth.
Space – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The following FAQ applies to bookings of the Visualization Lab and Multipurpose room in the DSC.
Can we bring in catering?
Yes, but please clean up after yourself. You are responsible for receiving catering in our facility. Our address is 2-20 Cameron Library, 11231 Saskatchewan Drive, Edmonton, AB T6G 2J8. If the DSC team is not able to reach the person making the booking within 15 minutes, we will be required to send catering back.
Can you train us on the technology in the room?
Yes, but we encourage testing before the event. The DSC team will not be present in the event for technology troubleshooting.
Can we practice in the room beforehand?
Absolutely! We encourage testing prior to your booking, as we cannot guarantee that the room will be available immediately before your event.
Can we do webinars and video-conferencing in the DSC?
Yes, each room is equipped with two cameras and overhead microphones. We have 4 platforms available for video-conferencing in our large teaching spaces: Zoom, Google Hangouts, Skype, and Adobe Connect. We cannot support requests for the installation of additional software at this time. The DSC does not have generic accounts to share. Please create appropriate accounts for video conferencing.
Do the rooms have microphones?
Yes, the Visualization Lab and Multipurpose room have built-in microphones in the ceiling. We also have handheld mics (one for each room) and one lapel microphone, just ask at the service desk.
Do you have additional auxiliary speakers for use during events?
No. The DSC has excellent sound system build into the rooms.
Can we reserve space outside of regular business hours?
No, we cannot accommodate requests before 9 am, including accessing the facility for set up. Individuals leading events that go past 4 pm will be instructed on how to exit the DSC after hours.
Can we bring supplies in early before setting up and leave things after tearing down?
No as the DSC cannot be responsible for lost or stolen items.
Can we hang posters on the walls?
Generally yes, but please check with a staff member about your specific needs.
Will you promote our event for us?
The DSC’s mandate is to provide the space. Individuals and groups making use of the DSC facility are responsible for communication and promotion of their activities